The Cambridge Family Enterprise Group (CFEG), founded in 1989, is a boutique advisory, education and research organization dedicated to family-owned enterprises. From our offices in Cambridge (U.S.) and São Paulo, we serve a global clientele of multigenerational families that own operating companies, family offices, philanthropic foundations, and other assets. Our focus is to help family ownership groups achieve sustained, long-term success, particularly in this new future. Having advised more than 700 family enterprises from over 70 countries, CFEG is the leading, trusted advisor to family ownership groups with growth aspirations who seek multigenerational success.
Our Advisory Services and Our Team of Advisors
CFEG offers a range of strategic and integrated advisory services that help client families achieve sustained success in this generation and over future generations. Our services and methodologies are specialized for the complex, interrelated areas of a family enterprise. We therefore have a range of multidisciplinary, holistic offerings that address the ownership, corporate, wealth, social impact, and family relationship challenges that naturally emerge–and converge–in a family enterprise.
Examples of typical services include: portfolio design for the family’s holdings (including diversification strategies, direct investment strategies, and business/industry analysis); development and implementation of governance structures, policies, and processes that guide the ownership group, family, boards and committees, executive management, family foundation, and family office; succession transitions of leadership and ownership to the next generation; coaching and talent development of family members; family relationships and conflict resolution; and others.
Our global advisory team blends expertise from multiple disciplines to help families navigate these complex issues. Senior Advisors play a pivotal role in the effective delivery of services to our clients.
In collaboration with the client family and advisory team: Provide assessment, analysis, advice, education, research insights, and benchmarking to help clients solve complex problems that limit their success, and implement solutions to achieve their desired path. Conduct strategic portfolio analysis and oversee business analysts. Diplomatically guide and facilitate important discussions among the family, owners, management, and governance members to help them make strategic decisions, resolve conflicts, build alignment, and implement plans. Describe successful practices, outline options and scenarios, offer analysis and insights, and recommend tailored solutions. Utilize sophisticated interpersonal skills to maintain client communications and trusting client relationships. Work as part of a dedicated advisory team with the flexibility to fluctuate between supporting the team/partners, leading certain workstreams, and driving the team’s effectiveness.
Typical Responsibilities of this Role:
- Business Development – lead introductory discussions with prospects to understand and frame needs, develop targeted proposals, follow up, and successfully close new projects
- Advisory – advise senior generation and next generation clients on the interrelated issues of their family enterprise (such as business/portfolio, wealth, ownership, governance, leadership, family office, family relationships, social impact, talent, succession, etc.). Present findings, analysis of options, and recommendations to clients based on strategic analysis, particularly of their portfolio. Support client in implementing strategies. Facilitate workshops and critical conversations.
- Analysis – identify issues, frame problems, and form hypotheses. Create detailed business and portfolio analysis, outlining challenges, options, opportunities, and solutions.
- Materials Preparation – draft portions of materials and presentations for delivery to clients; write client reports and communications
- Relationship Building – foster effective, trusting relationships with clients and team
- Team Support – support the advisory team/partners to drive projects deliverables and meet deadlines. Manage project budget and team. Review work of advisors and analysts; provide mentorship and support for all team members.
Competencies and Attributes
- Knowledge of, or desire to learn about, family enterprise best practices, research, the sector, the clientele
- Strong understanding of how organizations function due to a background in consulting or progressive leadership positions
- Globally minded with a high degree of emotional intelligence
- Ability to establish trusting relationships and maintain confidentiality
- Systems thinker in combination with strong detail orientation
- Conceptual and strategic thinker while adept at planning and execution
- Strong analytical and quantitative problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication, facilitation and presentation skills
- Skilled at managing conflict and addressing difficult conversations
- Willing to both lead as well as take a back seat at appropriate times
- Passionate about assisting others to achieve long-term success
- Adaptable to changing needs and circumstances
- Disciplined and driven
- Willingness to “roll up sleeves” to accomplish work – both with others and on own
- Organized with strong time management skills
- Ability to track multiple workstreams and multiple projects with ease
- Detail oriented and able to deliver a high level of accuracy
- Analysis skills including budgeting and forecasting, planning and monitoring, variance and price analysis, and process modeling
- Approaches work and clients (external and internal) with an empathetic and patient approach (in contrast to pedantic superiority)
Experience and Qualifications
- Eight plus years of experience in client-facing professional services role (business consulting, law firm, coaching)
- Relevant work experience in a corporate or organizational setting
- Group facilitation experience
- A minimum of one of the following:
- A graduate degree in a relevant numerical or analytical field with record of high academic achievement;
- MBA or law degree;
- Advanced degree in Behavioral Sciences, Human Resources, Finance, or Engineering.
- English fluency (both oral and written); Spanish fluency or other language fluency a plus
- Teaching experience a plus
Work Schedule and Location
- Client-facing work is conducted in-person at the client’s offices or meeting venues anywhere in the world. Meetings also take place via Zoom (either to supplement or replace in-person meetings at this time)
- Frequent domestic and international travel, particularly in conjunction with or after required six- to nine-month onboarding period
- Evening and weekend work often required
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected].