The Advisor is a key role in the effective delivery of advisory services to our clients. Under an apprenticeship model, the Advisor is assigned to two or more Partners, and possibly a Senior Advisor, in order to support their client project needs, develop professionally, and assist in the delivery of services on client projects. This involves background research and report preparation, industry research and analysis, client communications, preparation of meeting materials and presentations, tracking and ensuring delivery of action items, and tracking project progress. After an adequate training and orientation period–during which time there is deep learning of our theoretical frameworks and practical application for clients– the Advisor transitions to client-facing advisory work to support a client project team. After achieving the required skills and prerequisites, the Advisor may then later evolve into a Senior Advisor as the next career stage.
The Cambridge Family Enterprise Group (CFEG), founded in 1989, is a global advisory, education and research organization dedicated to serving multigenerational family-owned enterprises. From our offices in Cambridge (U.S.), São Paulo and Beijing, we are the leading advisor and knowledge provider to family enterprises globally, delivering profound transformation to families, their businesses, and their other organizations for multigenerational success.
Cambridge Advisors to Family Enterprise is the global advisory arm of CFEG. Through private facilitation and consulting, we assist multigenerational families to achieve their important goals, and build sustainable enterprises and families for this generation and future generations. The clients we serve are high-performing and often high-profile families around the globe that own substantial businesses and financial investments. They seek assistance from us to ensure the long-term success of their enterprises and wealth, unity of their families and owners, and talent development of family members and non-family managers. Our advisory services span a wide range of integrated offerings in six areas: family strategy, business strategy, ownership strategy, wealth strategy, family office strategy, and coaching for individuals and teams. Examples of typical services include: design and implementation of governance structures, policies and processes for the family, the ownership group, the board of directors, executive management, family foundations and family offices; leadership succession; talent development; strategic planning; design and implementation of innovation and digitalization strategies; ownership strategies; inheritance planning; next generation development; family unity building; facilitating difficult conversations; and many more.
Day to day activities with client families address various kinds of complex problem-solving in relation to family enterprise dynamics, and will vary depending on the client, its context and the type of project. Advisors work with colleagues on multidisciplinary project teams. Advisors support and report to Partners.
Typical tasks involve:
- Identifying issues, framing problems and forming hypotheses regarding client situations
- Presenting findings, recommendations and options to clients
- Actively supporting implementation of recommendations
- Leading and managing team members
- Managing project work plans and budgets
- Conducting business and financial analysis
- Interviewing key stakeholders
- Facilitating workshops and conversations
- Preparing proposals and presentations
- Liaising with the client and the Cambridge team
- Participating in, or leading, administrative projects that develop and maintain essential Cambridge Advisors organizational systems such as databases, firm policies, and presentations for firm meetings.
- Three to five years of business consulting experience plus relevant work experience
- Understanding of businesses, organizations, family dynamics, and wealth matters
- Knowledge of family business and family office best practices, industry organizations and publications, a plus
Qualifications and Attributes
- Globally minded with a high degree of emotional intelligence
- Curious, non-judgmental and humble
- Collaborative, disciplined and driven; enthusiastic about taking on new challenges
- High degree of flexibility and adaptability to pivot as circumstances and goals change
- Action oriented with strong follow-up, including a hands-on approach and a drive to produce results
- Excellent communication, facilitation and presentation skills
- Problem-solving and strategic planning ability
- Strong analytical and project management skills
- Detail oriented, focused on quality work
- Passionate about assisting others to achieve long term success
- Graduate degree required in a relevant (numerical or analytical) field with record of high academic achievement: MBA and/or advanced degree in Behavioral Sciences, Human Resources, Finance, or Engineering.
- English fluency (both oral and written) required
- Spanish fluency or other language fluency a plus
Work Schedule and Location
- Local Cambridge, Massachusetts, U.S. office in Kendall Square. Client-facing work is conducted at the client’s offices or meeting venues anywhere in the world.
- Frequent domestic and international travel, particularly after required six- to nine-month on-boarding period.
- Full-time position. Will involve hours beyond 9am to 5pm to meet with team members, address project issues deadlines, or deliver client services.
Please send a cover letter and CV to [email protected]. Cover letter should explain why you feel you are qualified for the position, and how you could make a meaningful contribution to the firm.